A big idea is a great idea, but the story creative folk write today will be read in fragments. Advertising, promotion, publicity, social engagement even customer service has to be integrated, because the digital consumer will hop between channels. The key to consistency is data intelligence, but commercial advantage is found in how a brand creatively applies it to their marketing.
Dumb Ways to Die (be safe around meetings)
Client: Miami Ad School/ESPM, São Paulo
Agency: Young & Rubicam Brazil
Wheat is Wheat is Wheat by Peddy Mergui is a provocative design idea about food, luxury and the often pervert relationship with consumer culture.
John Hegarty’s 5 most provocative thoughts about Creativity
1. Collaboration is great for sex, not so much for creativity. In short, groupthink breeds blandness.
2. Bollocks to failure. Yes, it happens, but don’t dwell on it. Move on.
3. Nothing is original, so strive for something fresh instead. After all, it’s how others respond to your ideas that counts most.
4. Take your headphones off. Being creative means being connected to the world around you.
5. And finally, like Paul McCartney, everybody needs a Lennon—a partner who can challenge your thinking, and in the process, produce better art.
Excerpts from “Hegarty on Creativity. There Are No Rules”